Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Networking

Tonight was my first foray into hardcore job networking.

I had networked informally before tonight, but given that my other methods of finding a job (i.e., responding to job postings on craigslist.org, applying to jobs posted at individual company web sites.) have produced zero results, I realized that some face-to-face time was in order.

My first stop this evening was at a meeting of 'Refresh Pittsburgh'. According to the organization's Web site, the goal of Refresh Pittsburgh is "to create a open community of designers and developers working to refresh the creative, technical, and professional culture of Internet developers in the Pittsburgh area.

"Whether you are a web developer, flash guru, programming wizard, graphic designer, project manager extraordinaire or just want to learn more and share ideas with like-minded people, we want you to be a part of our group."

And although I'm neither a designer nor a developer, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to familiarize myself with some of the local folk who do just that. The members of the group were approachable and friendly, but the get-together was a brief one and was over in less than an hour.

While at the meeting, I remarked to the man next to me that I had started a blog, which seemed to pique his interest, but when I continued, "it's about finding a job in the Pittsburgh area", he stifled a laugh.

Hmmm.

No comments: