Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Three Rivers Workforce Investment Board

I'm particularly dismayed by the lack of any response from Ron Painter, CEO of the Three Rivers Workforce Investment Board, to an email I sent him almost a MONTH ago.

On August 16, I sent Mr. Painter an e-mail message inquiring about possible job leads, suggestions or ideas that he might have. To date, I have heard nothing back from him or anyone at TRWIB.

Last week, I followed up with a phone call to Mr. Painter, and ended up speaking with a woman named Laura Holden. I emailed Ms. Holden the same message I had sent to her boss, Mr. Painter.

Still nothing.

According to its site, the TRWIB ' is an employer-driven policy-making entity that supports and oversees the local workforce development system in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, including a network of PA CareerLink centers that serve jobseekers and employers.

Our board members are appointed by the mayor of Pittsburgh and the chief executive of Allegheny County.

TRWIB, Inc. is the corporate entity and fiduciary agent for the TRWIB. All TRWIB funds, including federal Workforce Investment Act funds, are managed by TRWIB, Inc. '

I'm confused. TRWIB is more than willing to accept MY federal tax dollars, ostensibly to help retain jobs in this area, but no one at the TRWIB is able to return my phone calls?

And please, please, please -- for the love of God, do not direct me to Pennsylvania's Careerlink to find employment. The jobs available at that site are an utter joke. I have no interest in being a convenience store night manager or an underpaid telemarketer. Thanks but no thanks.

5 comments:

PassedOutInNYC said...

It's probably not what you want to hear, but the real answer is to leave the city.

I was in marketing in Pittsburgh for years and begged for jobs everytime.

When I moved to New York City, employers were calling me.

Gabe S. said...

Hey,

I might have some ideas/leads, what is your email?

PassedOutInNYC said...

Definitely take Michael up on his offer. The folks I do know with great jobs got them through contacts. Answering ads or emailing companies is fruitless.

KNR said...

Have you tried professional services marketing? This organization meets about 6 times a year and jobs are often posted to the Web site: http://www.propamarketing.com/flash.htm. Also, Pittsburgh Business Times hosts monthly networking events. I'm not sure how helpful they are, but another avenue to meet and greet.

Good Luck!

Joe Polk said...

Do you have a LinkedIn account? If not, you should think about signing up for one. I've made a number of business connections through the web site -- and a buddy of mine just landed a marketing (writing) job through the site too. Let me know if you have any questions about the site -- and join my network once you've signed up! :)