Friday, February 8, 2008

Taking Inventory

Let's see...it's mid-February. Let's see where things stand:


  • Right now I'm living with my father and his wife, an arrangement they're definitely not too thrilled with.
  • The part-time retail job I took at the mall at Christmas has ended. Business is so slow that the store manager was sending employees home; he certainly wasn't about to put me on the schedule.
  • I have no health insurance (the COBRA from my last job ended in October). Each day is a gamble; I hope my luck doesn't run out.
  • In between job hunting and looking for job networking and low-cost educational opportunities, I've been selling my personal items. It brings a few dollars in to help me pay my auto insurance and other bills.
  • My 10-year old car is a beater. It runs, more or less, but it looks like hell and sounds like a tank. In fact, I've taken to cutting the engine halfway down my street and coasting into the driveway when I come home from the library at night, to keep from waking my dad and stepmother.
  • I don't watch TV. I don't have the time for it, and besides, I think the cost for cable television/dish channels is obscene.
  • New clothes? Ha ha ha ha ha. Not likely.

I'm lucky, in many respects. My dad and his wife haven't put me out on the street -- yet. I don't have children, which would add a whole different element to the equation. When I got a flat tire last week, my brother came and got me (and his kids, we were coming home from a family event). And my dad drove me to the tire shop the next day so I could get a new tire for my car. (Dad didn't pay for the tire; he just played taxi.)

But still, I think to myself, this is nonsense. Why am I knocking myself out to get a job here? Why am I living hand-to-mouth here, when there are better opportunities in Charlotte, N.C., Atlanta, Austin, Tx, Las Vegas -- even Columbus, Ohio.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

if you haven't tried this yet, look on Pittsburgh Technology Council website, They list paid internships for positions such as you are looking for, can get the ojt you are looking for and get paid something as well

SARA MARK said...

ohhh..realy find through some other portals
Language Translation Services ,
Subtitling Companies in Bangalore

Sangeethalimsoftech said...

Thanks for posting. Its a Important topic to be read..
IT Consulting and Software Company ,
Web Design and Development Company