Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thinking Outside of the Box

Over the last few days, I’ve been reflecting on some of the other ways I’ve tried to find a job here in the ‘burgh. Here's one; I'll share some others in a subsequent post.

I was pretty proud of this particular job hunting idea: the Financial Education Consortium of Southwestern Pennsylvania was holding a Financial Education Fair at the Convention Center downtown. It was free, so why not attend, do a little networking, make some connections?

I was excited, because my last job had been at one of Pittsburgh’s financial institutions, so I had the experience I needed.

True, it wasn’t a ‘traditional’ job fair, but frankly I hadn’t had any luck with those -- and besides, job hunters need to think outside of the box, right?

So, with a handful of personal business cards tucked into my wallet and small stack of resumes in my attaché, I headed for the Financial Education Fair. Stopping at each table, I schmoozed and networked and exchanged business cards with the representatives of the banks, nonprofit organizations and other entities that were in attendance.

At the end of the day, I left, cheered at the prospect of getting a new job.

I followed up with an email to each person from whom I had received a business card, briefly reiterating some of the issues we had discussed at the fair, and attached the link to my resume.

I never heard back from a single person.

7 comments:

Matthew said...

If you have some financial experience, I know that PNC is hiring...

JzzNJ.02Xz said...

This has been my experience at WestPACs, and every CMU Alumni job fair I've attended in this city.

Unknown said...

Your blog providing such a amazing stuff regarding to get the job with making good opportunities.
Web Designing Company | Web Designing Companies Bangalore

Unknown said...

Innovative thinking is the main skills of website designers and developers.Because they should have create only unique structure for each project.
Website Designing Companies | Web Design Companies

Unknown said...

People should thinking all the sides while taking any important decisions to avoid the consequences.
Web Design London | London Web Design Company

Unknown said...

Thanks for such avant-garde and amazing information..Good actuality is absolutely affable information.
Bangalore Web Designing Company, Web Development Company Bangalore

Hannah Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.