Friday, February 8, 2008

You Need to Apply Online...

Employers don't want paper resumes anymore, I was told. Most employers want potential hires to apply online.

I certainly don't have a problem with that -- especially since my resume and work samples are all online at my personal job-hunting Web site.

So I applied for jobs online, applying anywhere and everywhere I could think of.

I applied for more jobs at PNC that I can count. Even if the jobs were only remotely interesting, I applied for them. I even opened a checking account at PNC to improve my odds of getting a job.

I paid a visit to a restaurant owned by my brother's friend, Jon, a mid-level executive at PNC who has worked at the bank's corporate headquarters for 17 years, to personally ask him if I could list him as a referral on my applications. "Sure!" he said. "Great!" I thought.

But despite the many applications I filled out online at pnc.com, I didn't get a single phone call or e-mail reply.

Other organizations that I applied to include Heinz Foods, National City bank, Carnegie-Mellon University, the University of Pittsburgh, Carlow College, Blattner-Brunner and many, many others.

So why didn't I try for a job with one of the Pittsburgh area's smaller businesses? Here's why: with a few notable exceptions, most smaller companies are behind the curve regarding technology. My two and a half years at my last job, a smaller Pittsburgh-area organization, left me without the skills I needed to compete in today's workforce.

I really don't want to play a constant game of catch-up for the rest of my life. I love education and I love learning, but I don't want to spend ALL of my free time online or in the classroom learning important job skills that I could -- and should -- be learning on the job.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, very unique perspective, emotions It looks pretty information.I am very much satisfied with your website postings
Website Development Companies Bangalore

Magento Web Developers said...

It would be a very good opportunities for freshers and experienced people.
Magento Development Company India | Magento Development India

Unknown said...

Its really essential blog to update the resume for applying online to get the recruitment.
Web Development Company | Web Designing Company Bangalore

Prasanth said...

I am very happy when read this blog post because blog post written in good manner and write on good topic. Thanks for sharing valuable information.
UI UX Design Companies in Bangalore, UI Design Company Bangalore

Alice said...

The blog is so good and the way you posted is awesome.
Web Design Company Bangalore,Digital Marketing Agency

devidnayana said...

I am very happy when read this blog post because blog post written in good manner and write on good topic.
Thanks for sharing valuable information.

digital marketing company in bangalore,
Digital Marketing Company